The Hotel Vetting Checklist Most Travelers Skip
I have stood in enough hotel corridors to know which ones were designed to be calm and which ones were designed to be photographed. The thing that matters is not what the room looks like on the listing page. It is what the building does at the hour you arrive, with your bags, in the weather you actually have.
A hotel can look excellent from the inside and still be a letdown from the street. The listing will not tell you that. This is the checklist I use before I put a room on my own list.
Start with the address on a real map
Not the map the hotel pays to be seen on. Open a neutral map, drop the pin, and walk the block in street view at the hour you would actually arrive. A quiet hotel on a noisy road is a quiet disappointment. The road does not care how good the room looks in the photographs.
I check what is on the other side of the building. A courtyard side is usually worth a little more. A road side is usually worth asking about. The person at the desk knows which side sleeps better. Ask before you arrive, not at the desk.
Read only the middle reviews
Skip the five-star enthusiasm and the one-star rage. Read the three-star reviews in the last six months. They are usually written by people who stayed in the room, noticed something real, and were not trying to punish or reward the hotel.
Look for what they complain about more than once: a slow lift, a draughty corridor, a breakfast that arrives late. Those are the small things that compound over a stay. A hotel that gets a clean lift and a hot breakfast right is doing something useful. The rest is decoration.
Then the room itself
Ask for a room on a high floor if you want quiet. Ask which side of the building faces the road before you arrive. A good concierge knows which side sleeps better — and does not make you guess on check-in.
I keep a short list of rooms I would put my own name on. I do not advertise it. Knock, and I will tell you which side of the building to ask for. The rooms on that list are not the most expensive ones. They are the ones that get the small things right on the day you arrive.
The concierge connection
The hotels on my list are not the ones with the best marketing. They are the ones that get the small things right on the day you arrive: the room you expected, the check-in that takes two minutes, and a phone number that reaches a person if anything goes wrong.
A hotel that cannot answer the phone on the day you arrive is not a hotel I would put my name on. Everything else is a gamble.
See me, the private concierge: https://datavaultai.co.uk/concierge
Comments
Post a Comment